Happy New Year, guys! I hope you all had a good night seeing the last few hours of 2017, whether you were at home or out celebrating. This is going to be a bit of a longer Update post than usual. The first part is going to be a look a back at 2017 for this blog and also my plans for this blog in 2018. If you are here for the usual Update post goodness, don’t worry, you can just read a bit further on to get the usual update ramblings!
A Reluctant Hero in 2017.
I know this is a bit cliche to say, but genuinely 2017 was the best year for A Reluctant Hero. I don’t usually obsess over statistics but we hit 100 followers yesterday! This blows my mind and it is humbling to know that people out there like to read what I have to say, so thank you. With 2,184 views in 2017, we quadrupled what we achieved in 2016, again that is just crazy to me. It’s particularly crazy when I hadn’t posted anything for a few months early on in 2017; this was because I had basically burnt myself out the previous year, with doing to many posts on the blog and trying to juggle my personal life.
That hiatus turned out to be a good thing in the end because it revitalised my love and passion for my blog. When I returned to A Reluctant Hero, I started to make a few changes. The biggest change was experimenting with the Update posts, which people seem to like and back in November, I started to create a schedule for the blog. With the introduction of the Update posts, I decided to get rid of the monthly Reading Round-Up posts, as I was talking weekly about the books I was reading. I didn’t just get rid of posts last year, I also introduced some new ones, including Recommended Gaming and my First Impressions posts. 2017 also saw a return of the Anime Challenge, which I actually completed! Daily December also returned, which I almost completed and I took part in a blogging collaboration for the first time. So when I say 2017 was a huge year for this blog, I wasn’t kidding, but what about 2018?
Plans for this blog in 2018.
Let’s start off with the news that the schedule is staying. That means you can expect Update posts on Monday; an assortment of posts on Tuesday and Thursday, with a post on Saturday about whichever animated show I am watching. The only time this will change is when I am doing a blogging challenge- yes, these are making a return!
As for what content I’ll be posting, this is what I have planned:
- Update posts– as mentioned these will be posted every Monday.
- Recommended Reading– I’ll try and post one of these once a month.
- Recommended Gaming– again this will be once a month and I’ll try and post this on a different week to Recommended Reading.
- Saturday Animated Review– every Saturday I’ll be talking about an episode of X-Men: The Animated Series.
- Top Five Lists– Once a month, I’ll post one of my lists of five things that pop into my head.
- Humble Monthly… Unboxings?!– Apparently people like reading about virtual boxes of games I receive. These posts will go out on the first Saturday after the bundles release, which means the Saturday Animated Review will be pushed to the Sunday instead.
- First Impressions– These posts will be as and when I watch something new that I want to talk about.
- Disney Classics Challenge– Yes, the Disney Challenge will return! I aim to put a post up a month, but no promises.
- Beginner’s Tips– A new post that will accompany the Recommended Gaming posts, where I’ll offer tips on the games I recommend.
- Video Game Reviews– So I’ve been a terrible person and not posted a lot on Upon Completion, so to remedy that wen I review a game, I’ll post it on A Reluctant Hero and Upon Completion. If this works out, the post will go up on this blog on a Thursday and on Upon Completion on the Friday after.
Aside from this regular content, I’ll be occasionally doing blogging challenges. These may not always be 30 day ones but they will cover a variety of different things. I’m thinking of doing one book themed one in March, one gaming themed one in June and a version of the anime challenge in September.
I also want to try and be a bit more active in the blogging community. which since I’m not the most outgoing of people, may be a bit of a challenge. I particularly want to participate in more collaborations, so watch this space!
As you can see, I have a lot I want to do with this blog in 2018, so I hope you guys will join me, in what I hope will be the best year yet for A Reluctant Hero! Right, enough about the future, let’s talk about what I’ve been getting up to last week.
What have I been reading?
Unfortunately my cold/virus has come back with a vengeance, so haven’t read a lot. I stated to read The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. I’m about 100 pages in and while it is a bit slow in pace, the world that’s being set up is intriguing.
Just to keep you guys in the loop, I’m doing the Goodreads Reading Challenge. This year, I aim to read 65 book, since I managed to read 52 in 2017. I’m also looking to read more books with settings that particularly interest me, like Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000. I also want to try and get into the Star Wars novels, as the lore behind that series has always interested me. Finally, I want to read more manga, graphic novels and comics, as I didn’t get to read much of any last year.
What have I been playing?
Last week, I’d fallen in love with A Hat in Time. This game reminds me a lot of the old platformers I used play, with lots of collectables, cute character and bright colour schemes. I’ve only played around an hour, so I haven’t made much progress in the first world but so far I’m loving it!
The only other games I’ve played was Assassin’s Creed Origins. I completed the Final Fantasy XV crossover quest, which did give me a nice looking sword and shield… but it also gave me this monstrosity…
What did they do to you, Chocobo? Apparently, they merged it with a camel, so it looks hideous. And I love it. Here’s another screenshot, to get you over the horror you just saw.
If you managed to read my Creative Christmas post yesterday, then you know about crazy gaming resolution for 2018. If not, basically I have made the resolution to play every single major Assassin’s Creed game. Click here if you want the full details.
What am I blogging about this week?
With December over, there won’t be any more daily posts, which is a bit of a relief on my part; but I am still spoiling you guys this week:
- Tuesday: There will be two Top Five posts. One about my favourite games of 2017 and the other about five games I’m looking forward to in 2018.
- Thursday: A video game review about The Flame in the Flood. This will also be post on the Upon Completion blog on Friday.
- Saturday: The first Humble Monthly…Unboxing?! post of the year.
- Sunday: The Saturday Animated Review post, moved to Sunday because of the Humble Monthly post.
So that has been my week and my year for 2017! I hope you guys join me on this blog for 2018, as I am sure its going to be just as brilliant. As always, I love to hear what you guys are getting up to, so let me know about your plans and resolutions for this year!